Support Your Caregiver to Thrive
“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
— Dalai Lama
- Here are a few tips to spread love with your caregiver:
- Write a handwritten thank you letter to your caregiver.
- Tell them you appreciate them.
- Give them a surprise gift.
- Encourage them to take up a new hobby.
- Encourage your caregiver to take time out for themselves every day and not to give up time with friends, social contacts or activities.
- Ask them: What do you need? How do you feel?
- Buy, borrow or check out a book at the library on their favorite topic.
- Provide opportunity to share honest feelings in a safe way.
- Encourage them to do activities with others.
- Laugh often with them.
- If they have pets, encourage time to share their pets.
- Enjoy time together in an old hobby.
- Take some new pictures together, start a new photo album filled with your favorite memories.
- Confirm they are taking care of their health too. Use this as a time to begin or enhance healthy lifestyles for everyone in the family.
- Arrange for them to have a day at the spa.
- Do something daring with them or encourage them to try something new.
- Honor your caregiver’s limits.
- Watch for signs of depression or burnout and encourage caregivers’ support groups or professional therapy.
- Ask them to share their favorite music with you.
- Write them a song, draw them a picture.
- Love and compassion are free; share generous portions daily.
- Look for a unique way to thank them, so unique that in years to come they will remember how you cared. Use this as a time to love more deeply and to live more fully.